Daviess County PVA
Frequently Asked Questions REAL PROPERTY TAX QUESTIONS Question: How in the world did they come up with my assessment? Answer: Your assessment is based on a variety of factors.  Please see The Assessment Process. Question:  Why did our assessment go up so much in one year? We didn’t do anything to it. Answer: Your assessment is often based on what comparable homes are selling for in your neighborhood; this can sometimes appreciate faster than expected. Although, our office strives to keep up with the fair cash value of every home in Daviess County, sometimes the reality is that market values have increased dramatically which affects your assessment. We would be happy to meet with you any time to discuss the sales and reasons behind your assessment. Question: Why does the person down the street with all the land have a lower value than mine? Answer: If a parcel is 10 acres or more, it is considered a farm.  There is an agricultural exemption for farms in which current farmland rental or net income per acre is used to help determine the value.  Therefore, it would be feasible for an acre of land to be valued at a lower value than a residential lot. Question: If I buy property after January 1st, when will I get a tax bill? Answer: If you purchased a property near the end of the year and a deed was not recorded, putting that property into your name until after January 1 of the next year, you will not be listed on the tax roll as the owner of that piece of property until the following year.  Whoever is the recorded owner of a property on January 1 is responsible for the tax bill.  We co-operate with the city and county and make every effort to get the tax bill to the new owner in a timely manner so the tax bill does not become delinquent. Question: Why can’t I appeal my property assessment when I get my tax  bill? Answer: By the time you receive your tax bill the appeals process has passed and all of the taxing entities (school, city, county, etc.) have set their rates based on our final assessments.  KRS 133.045  says the appeal process starts on the first Monday in May and runs for thirteen (13) consecutive days.  This is the time to appeal your assessment. Question: What is the tax rate? Answer: There are 4 different tax districts in Daviess County. Each tax district has a different tax rate, which must be approved by the Daviess County Fiscal Court. The tax rate consists of a state tax rate, a county tax rate, a city tax rate (if applicable), a library tax rate, a health tax rate, an extension office rate, a fire district rate and a school district rate. Question: I moved in my house in February, but I can‘t get the homestead until next year? Why? Answer: Real Estate taxes are determined AS OF JANUARY 1ST. You will not be eligible for the Homestead Exemption until you are in the property, as of January 1st. Question: I bought my house in April for less than what the tax bill says. Why do I have to pay the higher amount? Answer: Real Estate taxes are determined AS OF JANUARY 1st. Therefore, the value at that date is what our office has determined to be the value at the beginning of the tax year. Your real estate taxes will be adjusted for the purchase price the following tax year, if we feel your purchase was a fair arm's length sale. Question: I own multiple properties. Can I get them combined into one tax bill? Answer: Yes, but only if the properties meet the criteria listed below. Parcels may be combined provided: They are contiguous and not separated by another parcel or a public right-of-way. Title to the parcels are obtained on the same deed and therefore are held in exactly the same name. All parcels are in the same taxing district. Combining does not conflict with local, state, or federal ordinances. There are no delinquent taxes due on any of the parcels. There is not more than one residence on the property. In some instances, a new survey by a surveyor may be required. ***NOTICE*** Combining or splitting parcels may affect the way the new parcel is viewed by different agencies. Meeting all criteria does not guarantee parcels will be combined. Because of the time between assessment date and the time bills are sent, you still may receive multiple tax bills after approval of your request. Question: How can I change the name on the tax bill? Answer: To change the name on the bill you must bring documentation showing the proper title to the property. The name will appear as it is on the provided documentation. If you would like to change the way your name appears on the tax bill you must have a new deed prepared and recorded reflecting your desired changes. Otherwise, you may request your bill be sent "In Care Of" your desired name. Question: The information shown regarding my property is incorrect. How do I get this corrected? Answer: If the information shown is incorrect you may call or stop by our office to ensure it will be corrected. Question: Does the PVA have phone numbers or contact information for property owners? Answer: No, the PVA only has the tax mailing address. Question: The neighbor next door gets a discount? Why do I not get one? Answer: The exemption your neighbor may be getting is a special exemption only for elderly or 100% disabled persons. See Homestead & Disability Exemptions. Question: How much does the Homestead/Disability Exemption save me on taxes? Answer: For 2013-2014, the exemption amount is $36,000. (2011-2012 $34,000) This amount is deducted from your  home value and you are taxed on the remaining.  For example:                 Total Value of Property:      $115,000 Exemptions:                          -36,000 Taxed Value:                         $79,000 * Please use our tax calculator to determine the tax dollar amount.* Question: Can I get the Homestead/Disability Exemption for Commercial Property? Answer: Yes, but only if you own AND occupy the building. (e.g. you live on the second floor of a commercial building) MOTOR VEHICLE PROPERTY TAX QUESTIONS Question: How do you determine the assessments on vehicles? Answer: The assessment value on vehicles is the NADA trade-in-value as of January 1st for each year. Question: I do not agree with the value of my vehicle. How can I get it lowered? Answer: The PVA office can sometimes lower the value of your vehicle if you have excessive mileage or excessive damage. Contact the PVA office to find out what will be required to adjust the value of your vehicle in each particular instance. Question: I have either sold a vehicle or moved out of state. What do I do now? Answer:   It all depends on the date of sale if you owe taxes for the current year.  Please call Daviess County Clerk’s Office for exact details. Question: Why do I have to pay a whole year of tax when I did not own the car for the entire year? Answer: All vehicle taxes are AS OF JANUARY 1st. You are able to pay in your birth month only as a convenience so that everyone is not paying his or her taxes the same month. Although, your vehicle tags may be good from birth month to birth month, your taxes are from January to December. Question: I turned in all my vehicle information to the clerks office and I’m still getting a tax bill. No one told me I had to come to the PVA office also. Why do these two offices not communicate? Answer: While we do our best to share information, it is often difficult with the influx of people and data to do so all the time. The County Clerk is a county office and the PVA office is a separate state office. We are working everyday to bridge these communication gaps that may sometimes overlay. Question: I turned in my license plate. Is there anything else? Answer: If you junked the vehicle, you would also need to turn in the title to the vehicle to the County Clerk and ask to have the title cancelled.  You will also be liable for the taxes that year based on the value of the vehicle January 1. Question: My car went out of state. Why didn’t that state notify you? Answer: Other states do not make Kentucky aware when a vehicle is transferred out-of-state. Unfortunately, you have to  contact both offices to ensure that the vehicle has been properly removed from one state and registered in another state. Question: I junked my car and gave my title to the junkyard. Why am I still getting a tax bill? Answer: You are still receiving a tax bill because the junkyard did not transfer the vehicle out of your name.  You will need to contact the County Clerk’s Office to notify them that the vehicle has been junked and to cancel title. TANGIBLE PROPERTY TAX QUESTIONS Question: Where did the assessed value on my tangible return come from? Answer: Your assessed value is based on the tangible return you filed with our office in May. Question: I received a tangible tax bill. What is it for? How did you come up with that figure? Answer: Your tangible tax bill is based on your KY Tangible Return, Form 62A500, which you file in our office by May of each year. The calculated tax is based on the reported value you listed on the return. The information found on this website is believed to be accurate and every attempt has been made to ensure so; however, the PVA makes no warranties, expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of this data. The PVA does not assume any liability associated with the use or misuse of this data.